0800 027 5130 - 24 Hour Nationwide Coverage

Party Wall Surveyors

Party Wall Surveyors

The ‘Party Wall etc Act 1996’ applies to home owners undertaking building works on or astride the boundary between neighbouring properties.

What is a party wall?

In a semi-detached or terrace house there is a shared wall (or walls) with a neighbour - that is known as the party wall. It separates buildings belonging to different owners.

Where a wall separates two different size buildings, only the part that is used by both properties is considered to be a party wall. The rest belongs to the person on whose land it stands.

Brewsters are experienced in providing Party Wall Surveying Services. If you or your neighbour are undertaking building work which falls under the Act a Party Wall Surveyor must be appointed.

The type of work the Act covers:-

  • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property (section 2 of the Act)
  • building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property (section 1 of the act)
  • excavating near a neighbouring building (section 6 of the Act)

Contact Us


Sector Solutions

Our Services

  • Additional Services
  • Networking

    Brewsters is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority for assisting in Insurance Claims