Top 10 tips if your home is at risk of flooding ……….
The Facts :
2 million homes have been built in flood risk areas in England & Wales.
The Environment Agency suggests that 43% of existing flood defences are in a fair, poor or very poor state of repair.
[source: Environment Agency]
Preparation – what to do now
- check insurance cover, ensure it covers flood
- safely store all important papers and insurance documents in a waterproof container and place at high level / upstairs
- know how to turn off your gas, electric and water mains supply
- prepare a flood kit of essentials; torch, wind-up radio for news updates, first aid, warm clothes, store at high level / upstairs
- agree with family members ‘a flood plan’ where to meet and how to contact each other in the event of a flood
what to do in the event of a flood alert;
- move lightweight, treasured and valuable possessions to a safe place upstairs
- put plugs in sinks and baths to stop water entering – weigh them down with a heavy object
- dis-connect any equipment that uses water (washing machines / dishwashers) if they do not have non-return valves
- place sandbags outside doors and infront of airbricks
- dis-connect all electrical items and store them as high up as possible